| In the late 1800s, the people
of the Hebert Cove community desired to have a church for their spiritual
development. Led by the Rev. J.A. Vincent and Rev. J.F. Marshall,
the interested citizens met to determine a location for the church.
Lofty T. Briggs donated an acre of land for the church. Construction
on the new church began early in 1888. A sanctuary and a parsonage
were built by the church members themselves. Rev. Marshall was the
presiding elder at that time, and the churchís first pastor was Rev. Vincent.
As the population became more
spread out, the congregation decided to relocate to a better site.
Property was exchanged and the building was moved to the new (and current)
In 1934, a storm damaged the
church. The steeple was destroyed. Temporary repairs were made
at that time. Later, under the leadership of Rev. James Smith, the
church was remodeled to reduce itís size, as the membership had declined.