| The Methodist congregation built
the first church in Concordia Parish. Though services probably began
earlier … perhaps between 1904 and 1908, we know that they were definitely
in progress by 1908.
The first services were held
at the railroad depot at the head of Louisiana Avenue. Services were
later held on the corner of Louisiana Avenue and Fifth Street at the schoolhouse.
In 1910, lots 1 and 2 on block 21 were donated to the church. A small
one-room church was built.
Mrs. Carrie D. Sevier donated
property on the corner of Louisiana Avenue and Third Street and was helpful
in fundraising towards a new church. When she passed away on January
19, 1922, a committee was appointed to complete the task. The new
church, the Sevier Memorial Methodist Church, was named in memory of her.
The new brick church was completed
and the cornerstone laid in May 1924. There were 102 members at that
time. The parsonage at that time was a rented home directly south
of the post office.
In 1948, a new annex was constructed.
A brick parsonage was built in 1952 on the corner of Virginia Avenue and
Sixth Street while Rev. Don Alverson served as pastor.
Plans for a larger church began
under the leadership of Rev. J.P. McKeithen in 1963. The new church
was completed the following year under the leadership of Rev. Jerry Means.
The prayer room was named in honor of Rev. McKeithen. The fellowship
hall was named in honor of long-time member Carter C. Walles.