| In 1865, Calvin Croom, Sr. donated
two lots to the Mooringsport Methodist Church. At first, the congregation
had worshipped with the Mt. Zion Methodist congregation seven miles south
of town on Hwy. 169. Three years later, a frame church was built
on the property. The congregation of the Mt. Zion church, which had
been incorporated on March 14, 1855, later merged with Mooringsport.
On June 10, 1941, the Mooringsport
church was destroyed by a tornado. On July 31, 1941, W.B. Noel donated
two lots to the church for a new structure. Services were held at
the Home Demonstration Cottage and the Masonic Temple during construction.
The new church, known as the “Chapel on the Lake,” was dedicated on October
7, 1945. Bishop Paul Martin gave the message and Rev. Van Carter
was the pastor. A parsonage and education building were later built
on the property. Parking was acquired across the street.
When membership surged during
Rev. Dan Grove’s pastorate (1969-1985), the sanctuary was remodeled and
temporary Sunday School buildings were added.